Sunday, July 8, 2012

No Face & Anchorless


I read an interview about an artist and her studio online. I came across something very funny. It is so funny that I have to reblog it for my future self.

From http://www.freundevonfreunden.com
Artist: Margot Bowman
Do you collect anything?
No. But I do have an eye out for interesting magazines. I used to collect vintage clothing, which I then couldn’t bring myself to get rid of even if I didn’t wear it. “Oh, but the patterns are so amazing! Oh, but it’s silk!” Till I read Aaron Rose’s Collage Culture, in which he examines the 21st Century’s identity crisis. His point is that you can’t sit around in a skirt from the 40’s, on a chair from the 60’s in a flat decorated in a 70’s style, with each of those things taken out of their context. It’s empty. You have to be of your time to be modern and you can’t do that if you’re wearing disconnected symbols from a past that you weren’t part of. Surrounding yourself with meaningless symbols makes you anchorless.
I can sit around a skirt from 40's, on a chair from the 60's in a flat decorated in a 70's style. All of those things would make me a modern lady. I am just kidding!

No comments: